Pin Driving Fluid

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Fri, 24 May 1996 17:07:34 -0400

About 20 years ago, I found out that Trefz' pin driving fluid was none other
than varnish sanding sealer.  I've been using that ever since with excellent
effect.  It seems to temporarily lubricate the pin as its driven in.  That
makes it easier to achieve a tight fit without having to bore quite as small,
since the hole is damaged less by the driving.  This can be very helpful to
achieving evenness in multi-laminated blocks.

The stuff I've been using is from Pratt-Lambert, the paint and finish makers.
 A quart, for $8 or so will do hundreds of pinblocks.  All you need is a drop
on the end of a hammer shank; wipe it around the top of the inside of the
hole.  I would discourage using lacquer sanding sealer, only because it dries
much faster.  But in any case, please test your favorite lick-dob with your
pinblock material, your drilling technique, your driving technique and your
pins before you make any radical changes.

-     -     Tom McNeil     -     -
Vermont Piano Restorations