Rhodes piano

Grady Garrard kconsult@burgoyne.com
Sat, 25 May 1996 00:07:32 -0600

Arlie D. Rauch wrote:

> Today I tuned a Rhodes piano for the first time.  My questions are two:  Is
> there a tool available for tuning these (a needle-nosed pliers works but is
> awfully clumsy)?  Does anyone have any tips to make the job easier?
>
> The Rhodes piano is electric.  The hammer strikes a rod (one rod per key).
> On the rod is a winding which is moved in to raise the pitch and out to
> lower it.  You cannot move the winding while the rod is sounding (as far as
> I could tell).  This results in sound, move, sound, move=8A, essentially
> trial and error until you get it right.  Great fun!!!
>
> One winding is so far to the end of the rod when in tune that it is on the
> verge of falling off.
>
> Arlie D. Rauch

Arlie,

I've found a stock 45 degree damper wire tool works great. For small
adjustments, gently tap the spring with the damper tool in the
direction you want it to go, or rotate the spring with your fingers.
(This twisting can only be done if the harp is in the tuning position.
Auditioning the sound is accomplished by plucking the tine.) If the
spring winding is near the end of the tine, the tine needs to be
replaced.

Grady Garrard