hammers won't check on a Steinway D

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Mon, 27 May 1996 16:30:58 -0400

Hammer tails are too short.
Tail shape is improper.
Backchecks at the wrong angle to tail.

It is not easy to lengthen hammer tails, although I am thinking of ways and
means, but have nothing to suggest at this time.

The shape of the tail is critical to good checksing.  More so than would be
thought.  2.5 to 3 inch radius works best.  I have a little pin in a piece of
wood that allows me to rotate a shank around while the hammer tail is being
shaped by the disc sander.  Roughness is critical and too rough can prematurely
wear the backcheck leather.

Push the key all the way down and tap the top of the hammer into check.  If the
hammer goes though check real easily that angle of the backcheck needs to be
changed by bending the top of the bachcheck (bck) away from the hammer.  If the
hammer will not go into the bck the top of the bck head needs to be bent toward
the hammer.  If the hammer goes deeper into checking with maderate to heavy
tapping the angle is good.

If the heels have a great amount of wood missing from the tip end you may
consider bluing on a piece of wood to replace what was removed before reshaping
the tail.

If you need more information there was an article on the subject several years
ago by Chris Robinson.
      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu