Checking trouble,Steinway D

k.swafford@genie.com k.swafford@genie.com
Mon, 27 May 1996 23:49:00 +0000 (UTC)

>I am having trouble getting proper hammer checking on a Steinway D. On
>a light to medium blow, some of the hammers bounce and double strike.
>I have good key dip, aftertouch and 1/16 let-off. I tried adjusting
>the strength of the rep lever spring but saw no improvement. The
>hammer tails are roughed up sufficiently. Any ideas?
>
>Joe Ross, RPT
>Rochester, NY

     There is a limit to how small the checking distance can be.  One
of the problems that can be encountered when checking is set too close
is just as you describe:  the hammers bounce and double strike rather
than going into check.  Before doing anything else, like worrying
about the backcheck angle or the length/shape of hammer tails, etc.,
try increasing the checking distance slightly on those offending notes
and see if checking is improved.

                                             Kent Swafford