violin thread

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Wed, 15 May 1996 08:26:26 -0500

----------
> From: Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: violin thread
> Date: Wednesday, May 14, 1997 1:31 PM
>
> Jim, Richard, etc.
>
> Has anyone else pondered the title of this thread?
>
> In relation to pianos, of course.
>
> One reason for its appropriateness is the sideways acknowledgement
that,
> like the violin, the piano is not a percussion instrument.
>
> ><< Don't you wish there was perfect perception? >>
> >  Lead the way Dear Sir , lead the way !  :-)
>
> Reality is a matter of perception.
>
> Best.
>
> Horace

Of course.   No reality, no perception.

I know how a violin can be played as a percusion instrument,
(plucking is almost percussion) but I am wondering about "sideways
aknowledgement" that "the piano is not a percussion instrument",,
unless it could be utilized as an Aeolian Harp. The aeolius (pardon
my latin) source might be interesting to behold.
	Oh, I almost forgot, was it Saint-Saëns  who put a weight on the
damper pedal for the resonating effects from a violin?

Richard M