Symphony pitch

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Wed, 15 May 1996 21:11:54 -0500

Once the San Francisco Ballet ordered a Fender Rhodes electric piano
because it was needed in a combo for a jazz ballet set.  They wanted
it tuned to A442.  The rental agency manager asked if it could be
tuned to 442.  I told him to lie about it that they couldn't tell
unless they were  using meters.  I know that sounds low handed, (and
he knew I was pulling his leg) but I smelled a rat, and didn't want
to jump in right away and have to
re-do things.  Besides I always was and still am bugged by the notion
of A442.  Of course he protested and said "We can't do that" and I
said I didn't know how long that it would take, but didn't care as
long as I got paid by time.   That another co. might be able to do it
cheaper, etc. etc.  Finally it it hit me, "Did they order a B-3?"
"Yes"  "Then tell them the Rhodes has to be tuned to the B-3 which is
the pitch jazz musicians tune to, and see what they say" They got the
Rhodes and the B-3 at A440.  The C-3 had to be tuned to 442, but
that's another story.

Richard Moody
ps  If you have access to micro film archives of the San Francisco
Chronicle there are some articles about the piano being tuned to 445
for the Vienna Philharmonic I think in the early 80's.
pps  Every one knows a B-3 is the widely acclaimed model of the
Hammond organ?