Key lead corrosion

Stephen F Schell stfrsc@juno.com
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:41:33 -0800 (PST)

Interesting question, Bill. Taking Keith McGavern's advice, I looked into
the archives, as I'm sure you have done. Nice discussion, especially the
speculation that some key leads may have been derived from old melted
linotype slugs.

To add my 2 cents worth, I have encountered swollen, powdery key leads in
about a dozen pianos here in So. Cal. over the last twenty years - all of
them being old Wurlitzer grands. Sure hope they didn't pay too much for
those leads...

I used to file them back flush with the key sides, creating clouds of
lead oxide dust. Not good. Besides, they also grow around their
perimeters, splitting and distorting the keys.

                                   Nowadays I knock them all out and
install new leads from the supply house. Wearing a dust mask and careful
shop cleanup minimizes the health risk.

Steve Schell
stfrsc@juno.com