Single string versus full Unison

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT dean@reyburn.com
Fri, 01 Nov 1996 20:49:28 -0400

Jim Coleman Sr. writes;
>I was very careful to try to keep the key pressure the same for each test
>across the row.  I know this is not as scientific as if I had a weighted
>striker.  I don't know why I was always surprised when I got to the 4th
>column to hear that the tone was much louder.  We know from previous tests
>and everyday tuning knowledge that a tone is sharper at first than it is
>later, and that a tone played softer will show a slightly lower pitch due
>to decreased tension caused by decreased amplitude.  If the added
>pressure of the wedges created a measureable increase in tension, then the
>single strings as a result should sound lower in pitch

I think that may be answer as to why the pitch of the trichord is
lower than a single string.  When the hammer energy is split 3 ways
each string's amplitude & tension are lower, making the pitch slightly
lower. (could it be that simple?)

>I'm sure this data is up for interpretation, but at the present time I can
>still only agree with Virgil Smith.

I've tested this too and come up with the same results, Virgil was right
as far as I can see!  I've seen his demo of this in class and heard the
same thing.  You don't need a tuning device to check this, just use a
narrow tenth (so its a slow beat) down from the note in the middle of the
piano, and play the tenth with and without the mute.  That's how Virgil
demos this effect in his class if I remember correctly.  If the difference
is as much as Jim's example; 0.5+ cents should be an audible difference.

>PS  The measurements were taken using the measuring ear of the RCT.
>It is still difficult to see these differences on the SAT and
>sometimes on the RCT when looking at the movement of the display or
>rotation of the lights.  I don't know exactly how the counter on the RCT
>works, but the figures above are still pretty consistent.

Reyburn CyberTuner's measuring ear listens and records objectively for a
set period, say 4 seconds or so in the midrange (less in the treble, more
in the bass).  The user does not need to judge the pitch, (although he
can).
It then throws out the "bad" samples (if any) and takes an average
frequency for the period. It is accurate to 0.01 cents.

-Dean

 Dean L. Reyburn, RPT
 2695 Indian Lakes Road
 Cedar Springs, Michigan, USA             web page:   www.reyburn.com