Tuning Resolved

Sandra Harper sbach@wave.net
Fri, 01 Nov 1996 20:40:53 -0700

Dear Piano Guild Technicians,
Because of your recommmendations, my problem has been resolved. Your
encouragement enabled me to address my concerns to my technician.
He responded in a professional manner, educating me concerning the tuning
process.
Acute listening is mine and my husbands business. I am a pianist/teacher
and my husband does professional music & sound recording. It is imperative
that we associate with a fine technician.
I have perfect pitch and he discovered that I am listening to the attack(on
pitch) and the decay(which flatens out). I am critically listening to both
pitches which form a dissonace. This dissonace is further augmented by my
ceiling height 8'(my previous home had excellent accoustics and 12' ceiling
height).
He demonstrated the beats of a detuned note in comparison with a perfectly
tuned note. I could not hear this at first as I was listening for pitch.
He had me walk around the room until this was obvious.
He communicated with our respected friend and they tune to the same
wonderful criteria which The Piano Technicians Guild has stipulated.
Yes, I do have Larry Fine's, Piano Book, but the principles are real to me
because my technician took the time to demonstrate them.
Thank you!
Sandra Harper
sbach@wave.net