Unstrung Soundboards

Richard m remoody@iw.net
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 22:19:22 -0600

I have been involved in a lawsuit over damages allegedly done to a piano,
in this case by a piano moving company.  I was called by the lawyers of
the plaintiff to inspect a piano for damages.  I did so and billed
accordingly, then I was asked to testify as an expert witness.  However I
had to qualify as an expert witness.
	If the "Case of the Unstrung Soundboard" goes to trial, any thing you
said about the piano that the plaitiff offers as evidence will be
suppressed by the defendant, unless it an be proven that you are an expert
in your field.  At least that's the way it works in California.  If the
plaintiff wants you to testify, the lawyer should make sure you will pass
the requirements for expert witness that the state sets, and any scrutiny
the  defense might put up as well.  Like "How many sound boards have *you*
installed? "    "How many pianos have you seen that had new sound boards
installed?"
Expert witness are well paid.
	They are also well grilled, excuse me cross-examined.  Favorite questions
are what is the value of the piano in money.  Then they ask you what you
think about the quality of the piano.   (Are we talking about an HC Bay
baby grand, or a Knabe?  Then they ask you,  "Is your opinion consistant
with that of the profession"?  Then there is issue  of standard practice
in a profession.  Is it standard practice to replace a sound board?
Could the sound board have been repaired rather than replaced?  If it can
be proven that some one didn't follow standard procedure, a case could be
won.
	There is standard practice for removing the strings and measuring the
bearing before and after, (in 5 or more places).  There is also the
standard practice of measuring plate height to sound board, before and
after the strings are removed.   Also checking to see if the plate was
properly seated, before being removed.  Was it determined that downbearing
bolts (if any) were turned down, and if so how much did the plate "give"?
 Was the plate seated with shims or dowels? (This is a trick question) How
was the height of the bass bridge from the sound board measured before
removing the bridge?  Has a string test for bearing been done and what are
the readings? If these  procedures were followed, then the measurements
can be taken again to see if the sound board crown has indeed become
"extreme"
	In your particular case, the plaintiff (the sound board installer, right?
) must prove that with the strings in, the bridge apron won't come in
contact with the plate.    Since a period of time (a lot) the defense has
been without a piano, the legal issue of conversion (holding on to some
one elses property) has or should be raised.  (Assuming the plaintiff, has
the piano)  Many many possibilities.  Keep us informed svp.

Richard Moody ptt
	ps  Know the professional literature starting with Reblitz.  Also
photographs are very helpful.