Knuckles

Bill Maxim wmaxim@gnn.com
Fri, 08 Nov 1996 00:55:44 +0000

Jon -

As someone else has done, I want to clarify if you mean the knuckles
make a noise when 1) the jack returns, or 2) when the hammer returns.

If it is the latter, that there is a "klunk" when the hammer hits
bottom, you may have better success needling or replacing the wippen
cushion felt.  Most actions that are 25 years old have densely packed
felt in both the knuckle and the wippen cushion.

>Date:	Thu, 07 Nov 1996 15:59:47 -0500 (EST)
>From:	Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
>Sender:	owner-pianotech@byu.edu
>To:	pianotech@byu.edu
>Subject:	Knuckles
>
>I have a customer with 25 yr old 'M'.  The knuckles are dense
>and make noise when the jack returns.
>Question: Can they be softened?

Bill Maxim, RPT, Piano Technicians Guild    wmaxim@gnn.com
Serving South Carolina from Columbia and Greer