Terminology or nomenclature

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sat, 09 Nov 1996 19:05:20 +0000

In article <199611091614.LAA14288@mail-e2b.gnn.com>, William Maxim
<WMaxim@gnn.com> writes

>While I am on nomenclature, Barry - you asked about adding "belly bars" in
>reference to the dead note problem.  I wonder if you referred to what we
>call "ribs" on this side of the Atlantic.
Yes, there are a few subttle differences in termonology from US to UK
and UK to Europe, but doesn't it make reading even more fun.

Below is a few differences in technical descriptive terms that I've come
across.

UK.                       US

Grand Rolers    =       Hammer Knuckle
Set off         =       Let off
Set off Button  =       Let off Sscrew
set off Pad     =       Let off button
Key chase       =       Key Buttons
Slap rail       =       Key stop rail
Depth of touch  =       Key Dip

Balance Hammers =       Catcher
Check           =       Backcheck
Tape            =       Bridle tape

Wrest pins      =       Tuning pins
Frame           =       Plate
Belly barrs     =       Ribs
Prolong         =       Sticker
Hammer Butts    =       Hammer Butts
Notch Lether    =       Hammer Butt Lether
Noch cushion    =       Hammer Butt felt

Take care,
regards,
Barrie.

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |