Changing FR Felts

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 21:50:37 -0500

Avery;
" perceives"
  Avery this is exactly the word word for you to use. In Jerry's reply he
adresses this very well, as did Stephen in his reply.
 Past a certain point in our work, when the piano is regulated to Specs, we
deal mostly with the performers perceptions. As Stephen and Jerry point out
the complaint often is not what the performer is complaining about but rather
their 'perception' of a 'problem'.  Let me give some examples relating to the
*front rail*.
A. Complaint is that the piano is hard to play.........
 (1) The problem might be no after touch or very little aftertouch. Or since
the piano is regulated to Specs it is shallower than the performer is used
to.
 (2) The problem might be too much aftertouch. Or since the piano is
regulated to Specs it is deeper than the performer is used to.
 (3) The problem might be hard front rail felts. Or since the piano is
regulated to Specs they are harder than the performer is used to.
 (4) The problem might be soft front rail felts. Or since the piano is
regulated to Specs they are softer than the performer is used to.
 (5) The front rail is slapping the keybed and this is being transmitted to
the keys and perceived, or felt, as "hard". The front rail can slap the
keybed and not be bad enough to be easily heard or seen .
  I suppose that what I am trying to say is that we need to listen to what
our customer/performer is saying in the same way that we listen to the piano,
i.e. that the noise we hear is not necessarily where we hear it. The
customer/performer after all is describing their problem from their
perspective and if we are careful we can decode these perceptions and provide
the answers and/or solutions.
Just my opinions.
Jim Bryant (FL)