Knuckle removal > Installation >

RPSPIANO@aol.com RPSPIANO@aol.com
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:11:09 -0500

Dear List

Barrie writes:
>I was always taught to put rollers on with the smooth nap running
with the jack.
>one of my colleagues got a set from Renner going the other way and
turned them round.

This thread has me out in the shop at 10:30 at night after a more than full
day of piano work. I must be losing it.
I went out and checked the Renner USA sample box ( very nice I might add
and they even keep it updated) Classy!
There are 16 S/F samples---- yep, every one has nap towards flange.
I checked out the other mentioned suppliers and found the same thing.
I remember several years ago ( whoa, maybe 10 or so or more) there was
some discussion on the nap direction for knuckles.

>I was taught to do it this way for a lighter touch. in the US they do it the
opposite as you desire a more prominet after touch

I do think there were a lot of proponents for the the nap to be away from the
flange to promote the return of the jack and to aid in the speed of
repitition.
The added "benefit" of some friction for more "presumed hammer speed
or control". Not sure that it would affect after touch much.
  I know I have had sets of S/F with nap direction both ways,
 sometimes even  in the same set. I'm sure somebody remembers
those early sets from Asia.  I did "turn them round" as well.
With the nap away from the flange.
 I think I have always had more requests
towards wanting faster repitition and more control.

I think Barrie make several good points:
The wear and tear aspect does make some sense, although after several years
of heavy use on newer leathers there may not be much nap left at all--
in either direction.  But I can see the point.

The point of the "carding gap" is well taken.  As long as the
action is well regulated and repitition springs are doing the job there
should be little friction on the jacks return. In real life however things
are not always so perfect, in that situation a little help from the nap
might not be so bad.

The lighter touch aspect, I guess, is truly perceived so that gives one
more element to take into consideration .
 To be honest I really haven't checked the nap direction latley
-UNTILL TODAY- thanks very much. Now I need a nap.

Mark Ritchie RPT
Columbus OH