Rattles & squeaks

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 22:05:47 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 14 Nov 1996 07:50:50 -0600
> From:          ATodd@UH.EDU (Avery Todd)
> Subject:       Rattles & squeaks
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

Avery,

Consider retrofitting the pitman like the new Steinways.  i.e:
With a 1 & 1/4" Forstner bit drill use the old pitman hole as
your guide and drill through the keybed.  Take a 3/4" Forstner
bit and drill into the leather on the damper lifter tray to about a
depth fo a front rail cloth punching.  Drill into the pedal
lever where the pitman rested the same depth.  Cut a dowel to
fit and glue a front rail punching to either end.  This will
eliminate any squeaks and the friction in the pedal will be much
less.  There was an article some years ago in the PTJ about this
retrofit.  Thats where I got the idea and info.

ilvey, RPT