Cleaning Dirty Ivories

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 22:12:41 -0800 (PST)

	My experience has been that ivories, being porous, absorb water
and then pop off.  I usually use rubbing alcohol (or another solvent)
since it dissipates rather quickly.  It works wonderful.
	The only caution I might add is that on pianos where the sharps
are NOT plastic, oftentimes the alcohol will lift the stains out from
the sharps and then you run the risk of smearing the black on your white
keys.
	Be careful and depress the sharps so that they are out of your
way (almost).  I take my left hand and raise the front of the white key
with my thumb and then depress the sharp with my long fingers thereby
getting the sharp out of the way.  My right hand is then free to clean
the Ivory.

Ron Shiflet, RPT
Phoenix Chapter