Can you imagine if the Journal...

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:40:02 -0500

The whole point of putting PTGJ on a CD ROM is the availability of the
information in a quick, easy, and complete (what, 40 years worth?) fashion.
Copying the entire CD to floppies would not be common, but individual
articles could easily be transfered. Copying the entire CD to a hard disk (if
you have a CD ROM, you've got a hard disk) is a matter of a few minutes wait.
One of the main reasons to have a CD ROM is that MS Office installs in an
hour and a half by floppy, and 10 minutes by CD ROM.

I don't think royalties on copyrights are a big problem. The PTG wouldn't be
killed by losing out an a few subscriptions to the journal it probably
wouldn't get anyway.

THE question is: Do we want every scrap of technical info we have on a medium
where it can be shared with the entire world?

Like all things in life, there is a good side and a bad side. Good: we get
the info readily available. Bad: someone will probably get a hold of _some_
information and ruin a (potentialy) good piano.

Knowing the nature of PTG progress, we aren't ready to do anything about it
for a while, and besides, I don't think Steve Brady's wife wants him to spend
all that time retyping those old articles. {BTW, thanks to Steve and his wife
for the time, effort, and good results on the journal}

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA

<< A CDRoom holds 650 megabites of data--not so easy to copy as it would take
 452 diskettes.