Squeaky Knuckles

Stephen F Schell stfrsc@juno.com
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 02:39:48 -0800 (PST)

Dear Richard and List,

The best approach I have found for squeaking knuckles is to remove any
old lubricants which may be adding to the problem, then apply new, super
duper lubricants.

Old lubricants should not be much of a problem on a new piano, but
occasionally someone has already gotten to the knuckles with some sort
of tragic graphite stick.  Remove old lubricants from knuckles by
soaking them with naptha ( observe safety rules here for fire and
breathing vapors), then rubbing off the contaminants with a terrycloth
handtowel, repeating as necessary until they are clean. Allow several
hours for them to dry thoroughly. If the repetition levers and jack tops
seem gunked up,  clean them also with a naptha soaked rag.

The best lubrication I have found is a one two punch combination of
teflon powder on the knuckles, and McLube spray on the rep levers/jacks.
Raise the nap on the knuckles with a fine brass bristle brush, then apply
generous amounts of the teflon powder sold by Bill Spurlock. I used to
apply it sparingly, then observed a friend realiy pile it on and achieve
lower friction levels. Transfer the powder to the knuckle leather using a
spare piece of leather which has had the powder sprinkled onto it and
spread out gently. Rub it in well. Any sloppy looking excess can be
vacuumed off. Spray McLube 444A (clear, superslippery) on the rep
levers/jack tops. It can be purchased directly from the company in case
lots at 800 2 MCLUBE.

This combination seems to work well and for a long time.

Steve Schell
stfrsc@juno.com