Ivory keytops

Richard m remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:41:18 -0600

----------
> William Bailer writes:
>

> >And I would never think of gluing an ivory with only 10 seconds working
> >time,
>

> CA is cyanoacrilic glue, you know, super glue.  If you want more working
time,
> use the thick stuff, and you'll get about a minute.

> Frank Weston

Actually 10 seconds is a long time, when you are pressing down an ivory
with your thumb, and wondering if a trace of the CA is gonna glue your
thumb as well.   That stuff is really tricky.
	I have found that for ivories that "click"  ie are loose but have not
popped off, the liquid CA seeps very well under the key-top.  Of course
pressure must be applied.  Those spring clamps with the slot cut in them
to accomodate the FR pin with the Hale brass head plates work great for on
the job repair.
	For ivories already off and the surface has been smudged, scrape with a
single edge razor blade, the white usually comes back.  IF it doesn't I
have used white out.  This however is experimental, and I would know
other's experiences.  For previously glued ivories that came off again and
leave gobs of old glue because no clamps were used,  strong language and
chisels.
	I have used titanium oxide in white glue, but too much can weaken the
glue.This takes time, but the pull test is best for finding out if the
glue is holding.  Especially with waffers.  Those are really tricky and
messy and leave a huge step. To heat brass head pieces, exactly up to 212
degrees place in water of the temp you want.
	For polishing on the job, not much luck with tooth paste.  Brasso does
work, really well, BUT I am worried about the oil in it being absorbed by
the ivory and affecting the glue bond.  Wrights ? silver polish in the
wide mouth jar is good also and water based.
	This may seem unbelievable but I have used simulated ivory heads
(plastic) and "lost" the location on the keyboard amongst the real
ivories.   Of course the client is advised and charged accordingly.
	One last thing.  For cigarette burns on plastic or ivorine tops, a white
laquer burn in stick works pretty good.  They come in different shades.

Richard Moody ptt