Squeaky knuckles

FSSturm@aol.com FSSturm@aol.com
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:30:58 -0500

I agree microfine teflon is the way to go. Having a good buckskin surface to
start with is imperative. Sometimes the brass brush isn't adequate to do the
job. I don't like the dry-cleaning operation - problems with the fumes and
not so wonderful results for all the work involved in my experience (the
drycleaning fluid seems to work as much dirt, etc. into the buckskin as gets
cleaned off). I prefer to simply scuff sand the knuckles to remove any glaze
a brass brush won't take off, or any graphite grease etc. someone else may
have used. The worst squeaks seem to come on newer knuckles with a glazed
surface, though. Don't want to remove too much leather, obviously, so go easy
on the sandpaper, and fairly low grit (120 tops).

Applying the microfine teflon goes easiest with a makeup brush. I use one
with about 1/4 inch diameter of bristles, probably camel hair or the like.
Jab it into the jar of powder a couple times, and the bristles become loaded
with powder. Then dab knuckles individually, gently for the first one, then
more vigorously for subsequent ones. A brush full of powder covers about six
knuckles very well. Then brush the knuckles you just tefloned to spread the
teflon evenly. This is the most efficient way of getting the teflon on the
knuckles I know, and with a minimum of mess and loss of material. A paint
brush would work as well, I'm sure.

Hope this is useful.
Regards,
Fred Sturm