Substitute Tuners (was Re: overbooked)

Barb Barasa bbarasa@mind.net
Tue, 01 Oct 1996 19:17:37 -0700

Avery,

I, for one, would never be insulted if a fellow technician wanted me to tune
for him/her before sending me work.  The only reason I can imagine why
someone would NOT want to do this is because they fear they won't measure
up.  Then you don't want them anyway!  This could be done on a practice room
piano so any potentially bad tuning would not be heard in a critical place
(like a concert hall).

I'm brand new in my area (one month) and would be thrilled to fill in for
someone or get leftovers at this point.  And I am not into stealing people's
customers (altho you wouldn't have that to worry about at a university), so
I would be comfortable stepping in and then stepping OUT!

Being qualified is only one issue.  I think it also comes down to trust, and
we each have to judge that for ourselves when dealing with someone.

There may be someone like me near you who is hungry for work AND a really
good tuner ... check out the ones who are even newer than you are who might
still be looking for work and "test" them.

Barb Barasa
Ashland, OR