Substitute Tuners-"stealing customers"

William Sadler sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed, 02 Oct 1996 09:05:26 -0500

>    A case in point;
>   Having been called (emergency basis) to tune another techs
>customer's piano, I tuned it and found a number of horribly out of level
>strings,  I could hear the whine and whistle when I tried to tune the
>unisons. Since I could not leave a piano sounding like that with my name on
>the tuning,  I spent an additional 10 minutes on the strings, tuned it, and
>charged for the tuning, (much higher than they were accustomed to).
>      WELL!!  the customer  called me back and said their piano had never
>sounded so good,  they even mentioned several notes that had always sounded
>twangy were now, for the first time, in tune!!  The other tech lost the
>account, and when he confronted me about it, I was able to look him in the
>eye and tell him that not only did I not solicit this account, but that I
>charged more than he did, so he should ask the customer why this happened.
> He now levels more strings, he is a better technian, and there is one less
>chink in his armor. It will be more difficult to take an account from him
>now.
>    We should all endeavor to higher skills, and money is one good motivator
>to do so.
>    Those that seek independance will have to forge out there and create
>their clientele.  If you do it with mediocre work, at a great price, you will
>create one kind of customer base,  but you will have built your house on
>sand.  If you maintain very high standards, and charge the going rate,
>progress is slower, but you will  build a foundation of the highest paying,
>most demanding customers.
>     Every city has techs at a variety of prices, I think this is because
>there is a variety of the quality of work. The natural sifting of business
>eventually rewards longterm commitment to quality.
>     What I would really like to see are the thoughts on this subject from
>those with the longest perspective.  We are fortunate on this forum to have
>access to the wisdom of the years possessed by the likes of  Ernie Juhn, Jim
>Coleman, etal...  I would really like to hear some of their views on the
>business of being in business as it relates to competing with your fellow
>techs.  Some of you guys want to tell us what it looks like from the long
>view??

Yes let the chips fall where they will except.....I'm sure we can always
find something that needs to be done that hasn't been done.  If not then all
our customer's pianos are perfect right?  I'll risk sounding somewhat jaded
here by saying that we are in this business to make money.  I know that a
larger part of my clients cannot afford to pay me for all that I could do to
improve their piano.  We are trying to give a good bang for the buck.

I think we should try and maintain respect to each other concerning affairs
of business.  Good communication helps that.

There is a difference between being asked to do a tuning (cover) for another
technician and being ask to take over and account for another technician.

When I am covering for another tuner I might point out a problem and suggest
that the customer consult with the person I am covering for about that
problem. This is out of respect for the person who is giving me the work.
Now if the technician I am working for says "I would like you to take over
this account because I don't have time" then I try and win that customer
based upon my own merrits.
William C. Sadler-RPT    Home  : 612-339-5182
School of Music          Office: 612-624-8575
Piano Technician         Pager : 612-538-3577
University of Minnesota  E-mail: sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu