Sherman Clay (was Re: slow times)

MR ROLAND KAPLAN TKTC82A@prodigy.com
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 12:39:19, -0500

-- [ From: Roland Kaplan * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

List,
	I have been associated with Sherman Clay in the San Francisco Bay Area
since 1983.  At the moment Sherman Clay has 9 stores.  Locations of
these stores are northern California, Oregon, Seattle, and I believe
there are one each in Texas and Arizona.  The actual number may be now 8
since I heard that the Sacramento, CA store might be closed.
	Sherman Clay is a very large real estate investment firm.  I have heard
that it would be one of the Fortune 500 top companies in the U.S. if it
was not privately held.  Their investments are in commercial real estate
, primarily shopping centers.  They have continuously over the last 10
years or so sought to divest themselves of their piano business.  By
having gotten rid of all the southern California stores and many others,
they went from a high of about 30 stores down to the current 8 or 9.
When the business was very large, the price was too high for anyone to
consider.  Now that size and price are down, there are more potential
buyers.  At this point, according to one of the managers, Sherman Clay
is doing fairly well, so the business would look good to a potential
buyer.  Sherman Clay is treating their piano business just like you or I
would treat some shares of common stock.  In this case upward potential
is slim, current price is good, so the time to sell is now.

Does anyone want to buy a piano business?

Roland Kaplan