Fallboard on Baldwin grand

Bonifield-Poulson bonifarm@netshel.net
Thu, 03 Oct 1996 18:45:51 +0100

List members:  I have a niggling little problem on a Baldwin Classic
grand that the customer really wants fixed, and I'm not quite sure how
to proceed.  When I first came to service the piano, I needed to
remove the fallboard to pull the action.  The fallboard was very tight
on its pins, and so I backed the pins in a bit to alleviate the
problem.  However, when I put the fallboard back on, it was now
slightly cockeyed and doesn't some down evenly.  Apparently the pins
were not installed exactly at the same height or depth, and upon close
examination I saw that they had been bent slightly in an attempt to
get proper alignment without pulling the pins and reinstalling them.
I measured the fallboard in its down position and found the right side
to be  2mm farther in than the left side. I'm rather miffed at Baldwin
at the moment, as I've called Baldwin tech support line three times
with no response except for the ineveitable voice mail feature.
Whenever I call almost any other piano company, I get immediate help.
Anyway, anyoune got any ideas as to how to determine proper alignment
for the fallboard pins?  Thanks for you attention, Patrick Poulson,
RPT