Cross-country piano move

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 05 Oct 1996 09:36:52 -0700 (mst)

Dear list:

You can prove to yourself that moving an upright piano just a few
inches can distort the tuning between Bass and Tenor.  Here's how.
With your knees, lift the keybed up a 1/4 inch and slide a wedge
under the front caster of the treble leg.  Measure all the A's on
the piano with an AccuTuner.  Remove the wedge and place it under the
Bass leg and repeat the measurements.  You will find that pianos with
skinny backs will stress more than the thicker backs do.  The same
results can be had when a vertical piano is placed on a dolly for
moving.  I discovered this in 1952.  I had just tuned a spinet for
delivery and while it was sitting on the dolly ready to go on the truck,
I played a few chords across the break.  The octaves did not match, so
I took the piano down and started to retune it, but it sounded OK back
on the floor.  So, I put it back on the dolly and it was out of tune
again.

Here is the cause.   The overstringing of the Bass section  tends to
warp the back because their pull is at a higher level in respect to
the back assembly than are the treble strings. This tends to curl the
back diagonally which tends to lift the treble leg.  You may have
noticed that on spinets it is usually the treble leg caster that is
loose on the floor.  Wurlitzer used to put springs between the caster
and the socket to keep the caster from rattling when a piano was
placed in a home where both front casters were not seated evenly on
the floor.

Fortunately, we don't have this same problem with grand pianos because
they usually have only three legs.  But watch out for those 6 legged
monsters, they will rattle your cage (Oops, case).

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS to ALL: Always proofread your posts so you don't out any words.