Cross-country piano move

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sat, 05 Oct 1996 20:59:05 -0400

> I just have not found that moving causes the piano to go out of tune.

-------------reply:

I'm with the people who wait.

In addition to the bending stresses in lighter pianos, each home has its own
microclimate. It takes so little change to change the tuning of a piano.
After all, you've all probably gotten through most of a tuning only to have
the heater or air conditioner turn on, and the middle of the scale moves
audibly. Changing houses (or even rooms) finds the piano in a
wetter/dryer/hotter/colder place, and maybe the new home requires more
heating or air conditioning, or has a shower or dryer vent or kitchen closer
to the piano, etc., etc., so it seems a matter of extreme luck to me if the
piano stays in tune even on a trip across town. Not to mention the trip in an
open/closed truck, which is hotter/colder. Not to mention a trip across the
country to a different climate. A piano that is "driven" out of tune (excuse
the pun) doesn't come back exactly even when the previous conditions are
returned.

As for the time lag, most of the change occurs in a few minutes to an hour,
but I'm not comfortable with a piano's stability for a few days to a week or
more, depending on the amount of change.

Bob Davis
Stockton, CA