Subj: Yamaha Repinning Question

William Bailer Wbailer@cris.com
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 00:39:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Rob Kiddell wrote:

>Ed,
>
>	Regarding the "cross-hatched" pins, I was referring to the standard
>pins I get from North American supply houses, which have a fine
>thread and are, in cases, threaded in both directions, in effect, a
>'cross-hatched' design, although I admit that I've only seen a couple
>of boxes of these, and they were a specific brand. The basic
>question is that I repin using reaming/pounding technique, rather
>than threading into the pinblock. Is this approach workable on
>Yamahas, or should I opt for the heavy-threaded pins and turn them
>into the block?
>
>Regards,
>Rob Kiddell
>R.P.T., P.T.G.
>C.A.P.T. Student
>Edmonton, Canada
>http://www.planet.eon.net/~atonal/atonal.html

Rob,

Now I am more confused than ever!  I have seen cross-hatched pins only
in very primitive pianos that are well over 150 years old.  Could you
tell us exactly where you have seen such pins, where they came from,
and who made them?

Bill Bailer

\\\  William Bailer                              wbailer@cris.com
\\\  Rochester, NY, USA                       phone: 716-473-9556
\\\  Interests: acoustics, JSBach, anthropology, piano technology