Blackened Kimballs

Lkunsky257@aol.com Lkunsky257@aol.com
Tue, 08 Oct 1996 13:37:24 -0400

Hi, all!

I opened the lid on my second tuning today and a blackened plate w/ rusty
pins and strings stared back at me. "This piano has been in a fire", I said
"and I can't guarantee what will happen when I start tuning it!" "Do your
best.", Mr. Customer said.  I gingerly let the tension down on each note
before raising the pitch.  Not one loose pin did I find or string did I
break.  I was shocked. It tuned up rather well.  Could have used some
voicing.  "Is there a guarantee on your tuning" he asked.  "Not on this
piano" I thought.  "Not on a smoke and heat damaged instrument" I said. "I'd
be interested in knowing how it holds up." I said, collected my check and
ran!

Next tuning, same thing.  Another Cajun Kimball.  Is this an epidemic?? Tuned
up OK, no broken strings, no loose pins.  My question:  What can I expect
from these pianos (and I use the term loosely) in the future??  Do you have
days that end up being "all spinet" days?  Or an "every piano is a Kawai
Grand" day?  Spookey.....Do do do do, Do do do do (insert "Twilight Zone"
melody.......) Maybe it's just the season.  Got any Halloween Piano stories??

Thanks in advance....

I will be very afraid walking up to my last customers house today.....

Laura Kunsky, RPT