Slow Times?

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 07:39:40 -0400

<< After several discussions, she decided she ought to keep the piano,
 too, if for no other reason than that it would allow her to play duets
 with her students. She did, and is happy she did. (So am I, because I
 continue to service her piano.)  >>
Randy,

I think that you have hit on a good point here.  Personally, I don't see the
piano versus digital keyboard sales situation as necessarily an adversarial
relationship.  Neither does the piano service versus elestronic service
question have to be a negative.  I know that there are several others on the
list who service both types of instruments in their businesses and find
plenty of ways for the two to fit together profitably.  Frankly, I feel that,
in the future, we piano technicians will be in a better situation than ever
if we embrace the trends rather than fight them.  All of these new "piano
feel" actions are going to require some maintenance as moving parts.  Since,
so far, the closest approximation of a "piano feel" is to use a piano action,
we should have plenty to do on these instruments if we educate both ourselves
and the customers properly.  Also, the advent of the acoustic/player hybrids
will leave a lot of opportunities for acoustic (with lots of wear) as well as
electronic work.

As someone once said, "You see a problem.  I see an opportunity."

Maybe we should try to get all of our piano customers to buy a digital and
all of the digital owners to buy a piano.  Hey, it could happen...

Allan

BTW, maybe we should all get back in to the habit of giving a litle more
information at the bottom of our posts.  That way newbies and lurkers can
follow who's actually being flamed. <BG>

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College
Gilreath@aol.com