RESTRINGING CAPO S

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@CompuServe.COM
15 Oct 96 14:43:00 EDT

Hi Scott,

Thanks for forwarding the discussion about capo files. I'm not on the pianotech
list anymore, but if you'd like to post the following information, feel free:

The capo file I sold was designed by Ken Slater, RPT of the Cleveland Chapter.
He worked with Guitar Shop Supply to come up with a design that could be easily
used with the plate in the piano. He had first tried the Waverly file, but
found
the handle awkward to use under the pinblock (in the action cavity of the
piano). As I recall he also felt the diamond grit cut cleaner than the
conventional file teeth of the Waverly. Due to problems with their diamond
coating  vendor, Guitar Shop Supply dropped the diamond capo file that I was
carrying.

They now  have a new jobber doing the diamond abrasive coating, and have a
couple of fret files using that process. One of these is a double ended file
with 150 grit and 300 grit diamond abrasives, seen on page 5 of their catalog.
This tool files a fret (or capo) to a radius of about .090", quite large for a
piano. I have asked for a specially produced version with a .060" radius cut.
They are in the process of producing this for me, but delivery is behind
schedule. Bill Spurlock

Scott Johnson
Auburn, California
scott.e.johnson@24stex.com