follow up on M&H Centennial

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:40:52 -0400

List;
 A while back I posted an open question concerning whether to screw, dowel,
and glue the pinblock in this instrument or to leave it free floating as
originally manufactured.  The overwhelming concensus of opinion was for doing
it "right" and I promised an update when the work was completed. The
comparisions follow:

sustain time Before:                       After:                 Change:
NOTE        B3--20                           25                        +25%
                B4--21                           28
                       +33%
                A5--24                           32
                       +33%
                B6--09                           14
                        +55%
Methodology:  Both counts were taken at A440. Counts were moderate speed and
done with open damper, plucked string. All counts were repeated three times.
  I expected the results to improve in the middle section but the improvement
of sustain time in B6 I find quite amazing. (Less power in note and more
easily absorbed by the floating pinblock/plate?)
  Oddly enough the volume of the instrument does not seem to have been
affected by similar amounts. I am sure that someone out there can explain
this to us.
Jim Bryant (FL)