soundboard shims

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:56:23 -0400

(This is a question I asked about a year ago, and received absolutely no
response.  Either my question was considered naive, or everyone thought
someone else would tackle it.)

If I am going to shim a soundboard, and don't want a gleaming white shim, I
might consider getting stock from an old board.  But to cut an oversize shim,
I'd be creating a problem by having the grain of the shim running
perpendicular to the rest of the soundboard.  If I cut my shims so that the
grain runs parallel to the board, I leave myself with no allowance for
trimming the shim.  (& I know I'm not good enough to drop in a perfect fit on
a first try)

So my question is; Would there be a problem with gluing up a two layered
shim, with the grain running in the same direction in both layers?  I can't
think of a reason why this wouldn't work, and I might end up with a less
visible repair when I'm done.  I've just never heard of anyone doing this
before.

Gordon Large,RPT
Mt. Vernon, Maine