Tuning advocated by Bach's WTC

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 17:59:39 -0700 (mst)

Some Musicologists believe they know exactly which Well Temperament
Bach used.  They have counted the frequency of notes used and have noted
that the less consonant notes were carefully glossed over, hidden in
a mordent or used lightly after a long appogiatura, etc.  Dr John Metz,
the harpsichord professor at ASU in Tempe, AZ has read up on all of
this.  Kirnberger Well temperaments were popular in Bach's day, I think.
Marpurg III was also very popular at that time.  Get the Owen Jorgensen
book on Tuning the Historical Temperaments.  It will keep you busy
and out of trouble.

Jim Coleman, Sr.