Damper felt, correction

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 19:39:51 -0400 (EDT)

>>    I was wondering if someone would explain the reason for the "base"
>>     felt layer (usually colorful) on the damper head. <snip>
>>     doug richards
>
>Seems to  me that the red felt is for decoration.
>I prefer a plain-old white piece of felt.
>Something that Wendel Eaton (MD Chapt.) once said fits here:
>"Makes it look like a circus attraction".

Now that I've had time to recall (it was 20+ yr ago), perhaps it was
just red felt in general; used as trim. I think that was it.

Reading W. B.'s post of the slo-mo,  I'd be very interested in a look at that.
Is a copy available? Seems like spliting hairs; but one never knows, do one.
Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass