Trailer or Truck?

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 00:56:25 -0400

Hello Everyone,

We debate in our shop the virtues of the piano moving truck vs the virtues of
the piano moving trailer.  The truck has some advantages in 'professional'
appearance and greater size but our crew, myself included, has always
preferred the trailer.  I especially like the very low (18")height off the
ground for safety reasons.  The heavier the piano the less I want to be
pushing it up a ten foot bouncy aluminum ramp to the bed of a truck 36" high
(usually more) off the ground.  That really scares me as the bagholder of any
liability suit.

The trailer also is very inexpensive to own, to register, to insure and to
operate.  The maintenance is so low.  When I don't want the trailer,  I
simply unhook it and drive my vehicle away.  I'm not tying up or paying for,
a separate whole vehicle for only that use.  Customers often will allow you
to go on their lawn with a trailer when they wouldn't allow the truck driving
across it.  I opted for the single axle also, because of my concern for the
lawn.  Double axles do scuff up the turf quite badly.  I do concede that the
smoother ride and added safety are nice factors though. We've been happily
moving pianos in a fully enclosed 4x8 trailer since '84.  This year we've
ordered and we're moving up to a new 5x10 trailer.

If you can think of some advantages in using the truck, please let me know.
 Ramping to loading docks is one.  Not having to back up (go in reverse) a
trailer is another.  I guess I'd caution against the pick up truck as a
moving vehicle.  With pianos being so tall and so top heavy and the walls of
the pickup being way too short, I've heard too many flip-out-the-side on the
corner stories.   In New England we even can't think of doing one person
piano moves, not with our sloped lawns and multiple steps.
Sincerely,

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@aol.com