Conservative Octaves?

Gittinger, Delbert M. delgit@acc-net.com
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 15:33:14 -0400

----------
> From: TunerJeff@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Conservative Octaves?
> Date: Saturday, October 19, 1996 9:10 PM
>
> Dear Dean,
>
>      ...visual tuners produce tunings as consistant, exacting, and varied
as
> (we...) aural tuners. The fact that the these machines/computers do not
have
> colds, earaches, or 'bad' days...

Jeff,

I hope I'm not getting over picky but, although I use a SAT when I tune I
do not consider myself  a "visual" tuner.  I'm a tuner that uses an
Electronic Tuning Device (ETD as the PTG calls it) which is better called
an Electronic Tuning Tool.  I, and other competent technicians, do not turn
off our ears while tuning and, as you point out, I'm the one adjusting the
string tensions for a stable and "squeaky clean" tuning.

Believe me, using an ETD does not necessarily mean that my "bad day" will
still produce the same quality of work a "good day" will.

The SAT gives me greater control over the exact way I or my customers wants
the tuning to be.

Hey, BTW, I like your "handle" TunerJeff.

Del Gittinger, RPT
Registered Piano Technician
of the Piano Technicians Guild
delgit@acc-net.com