Re; Conservative Octaves

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 01:39:20 -0400

Dear Dean,

           Thank-you for your through explanations of both your RCT & octave
tuning in general. Your experiences with the 3-Bears-Tunings simply points
out the flexibility of our (somewhat arcane) art or craft. You must have been
pleased to find your tunings almost precisely in the middle. What better
response could there have been?   ;>)   Certainly, we all have our own
opinions... but stretch keeps niggling at me; "How much?  Too much too little
too far not enough just right/not? Arrrgh!".

       Let's get real. Except for those who regularly assist in PTG-tuning
exams, who ever has the chance to compare his/her tuning against any kind of
established reference? Or has the opportunity to have ideas or thoughts
bounced off other tuners with a 'live' piano under the hammer at the time? We
all go through our daily routine, tuning & repairing pianos, with little or
no understanding of what we've done from our customer/clients. True?
Participation in the tuning exams is an excellent way to improve one's own
tuning ability, isn't it?
    I also look forward to the chance to hear one the "Great Tune-Offs"! At
the least, I might have the opportunity to hear a 'captured-tuning' snared by
an alert ETD-user in the not too distant future, eh?

Truly,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com

ps-
   Everytime one of these valuable 'threads' runs by on the TechList... I
think of all the tuners, throughout the world, who AREN"T on the TechList.
How can we change that?