Tuners who don't play

William Maxim WMaxim@gnn.com
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 07:24:17 +0000

It's not at all infrequent that I go to a new (to me) home for a
tuning, and during the course of the visit, the customer will ask
if I play the piano.  I assure them that I do.

Invariably, they will express wonderment that their last tuner (or
one they have heard of) did not play the piano, and ask how one can
tune and not play.  My explanation is that playing is performing,
while tuning is (merely?) servicing.  For instance, they would not
expect their TV repair person to stand before the camera and give
the weather on their local station; neither would a race car
mechanic be expected to do the racing.

Despite my surface explanation to the client, I am left with this
lingering question:  why do not more of us who spend our lives
caring for these beautiful instruments have more interest in
learning to play?  Maybe my observations are not indicative of the
wider world out there, and the general percentage of players among
tuners/technicians is much higher than I've experienced.  Instruct
me, someone, please!

To me, the benefits of playing are obvious:  The opportunity to
create and enjoy music on a freshly tuned piano several times a
day, as I try out my work.  Playing a bit after tuning gives me the
opportunity to catch details I might otherwise have missed, such as
noisy or malfunctioning pedals; and if I play a bit after
reassembling the cabinet I might catch a vibration that would
otherwise result in a callback.  Since the vigor with which I tune
is different from the softer touch of playing, sluggish keys are
more likely to show up when playing.  I think, too, there is value
in showing the customer that the piano sounds better, without their
trying it out (and finding something to complain about).

What's your opinion?

Bill Maxim
Bill Maxim, RPT
Serving South Carolina from Greer and Columbia
Satisfying discriminating musicians since 1955