Tuners who don't play

Benjamin Treuhaft blt@igc.org
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 05:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

You wonder why tuners dont play -
     After tuning for fifteen years, I decided to learn a song in 1981:
the Pathetique sonata (first movement).  I hired a teacher, got the
Shnabel version in sheet-music, and she told me where to put my hands.
After 6 months or so (part of the deal was she wasn't going to make me
learn to actually read the music) I got so I could play the first page
pretty well.  Now, with absolutely no talent whatsoever for music, I
can play that page louder and faster than many of my customers.  It is
indeed helpful, uses both pedals and has contrasty bits to compare the
treble above the break to the middle and bass.  But is it music?
Ben Treuhaft
Underwater Piano Shop
Berkeley, Calif.