Reamers, was Yamaha Pins Update

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:52:56 +0000

I assume that you used a six sided straight flute reamer, and turned it
by hand.
Is this true? And exactly what diameter?

Bill Bailer

Bill & list

	Actually, I have a set of spoon type reamers (round  drill bit stock
with a concave slot milled along their length, two cutting edges).
They fit in my combination handle, and are .005" smaller than the
comparable pin size: .276" reamer for a .281" pin. Because most of
the reamer is smooth shaft, not cutting edge, it removes very little
material, seats itself snugly while I turn it, and enlarges any
narrow areas of the hole, especially near the bottom  such as on the Yamaha
U3 mentioned previously. I only use these when I feel the holes need
to be re-sized.  I use a small brass wire brush when I'm repinning
older pianos that need one size larger pins, and the pinblocks are
well-seasoned.

Regards,

Rob Kiddell
R.P.T., P.T.G.