HUGE pitch raise

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:28:33 -0400

    Chris Olson writes:

    "I have been asked to do a pitch raise on a old upright (1905) that is
    197 cents flat!!!  So, do I do in in a couple of passes, just go for it
    in one pass, or run the other way as fast as I can?"

    What good is the piano at 197c flat?  Go for it - bring it up!  Check
    the plate for any cracks before you start, and check the pinblock to be
    sure it will hold the added tension.  Once you've assured yourself that
    the plate and pinblock are OK, do it.  You won't need more than 2
    passes:  the first pass you will bring it up to A440 with NO
    overshooting.  At the second pass you will find the piano at about
    50c flat.  Use your normal pitch raise procedure on the second pass,
    overshooting about 25% of the flatness as you go.  Finally, after your
    two pitch raise passes, tune the piano to A440.  (BTW, pitch raise from
    the bottom up - A0 up to C8, string by string.)

    There are some things you will need to tell the customer before you
    begin:  1) There is a VERY small (miniscule) chance that the plate may
    crack during the pitch raise, (nothing I would be too concerned about)
    2) there may be some string breakage, (they are responsible for
    replacements), 3) you can't guarantee how well the tuning will hold when
    you're through (depends on the condition of the pinblock and structural
    integrity of the frame, bridges, etc.), and 4) they need to retune in
    4-6 weeks to help stabilize and settle the piano at where it was
    designed to be.

    As long as the piano is in overall good shape, you should come out fine
    with a happy customer.  I've pitch raised several older pianos,
    100-200c flat, with the above procedure, many times with good results!

    Good luck, Chris.

    John Piesik
    Piesik's Piano Service
    San Diego, CA
    JPIESIK@ARINC.COM

    P.S.  If you can convince them to purchase a NEW piano, of course, that
    would be the best solution!