HUGE pitch raise

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:16:13 -0500

Chris,

>The strings don't look
>corroded just dirty around the coil, and there are very minor cracks in the
>bass bridge. I couldn't deal with it right then, so I told them I would
>consult some "experts"
>
>   So, do I do it in a couple of passes, just go for it in one pass, or run
>the other way as fast as I can?
>
>Chris Olson
>associate member, PTG

   I agree with the advice you've already been given by others. I would
also "strongly" suggest that you try and get them to repair/replace the
bass bridge before the cracks get any worse. If they are minor cracks now,
repair might be the best option in this particular case. I personally will
not do a large pitch raise on a piano with obvious bridge problems. Adding
that much more tension will only make the problem worse.
   If you do go ahead and accept the job, go for A-440 the first time, very
quickly. One comment here though, is to check a few strings in different
areas of the piano. Try bringing them up to pitch first and see how the pin
tightness and string stretch feels. There is a point where a string has
reached its elastic limit and will have a very tight feel right before it
breaks. Also, is there any evidence of any strings being replaced in the
past? Very clearly warn the customer that there is probably a "chance" that
some strings might break. If any do in the beginning stages of the tuning,
back off and explain the charges and problems involved if a lot of strings
break. Is it worth it to them?
   Then do just as Jim Coleman suggested if the pins and strings felt OK
the first time over. Someone trying to bring the piano up little by little
is probably trying to avoid the string breakage (potential) problem. But if
there's going to be a problem, it will happen whether you bring the piano
up gradually or on the first pass.
   Another thing to definitely do is check all the plate screws you can get
to before you start the actual tuning. Be sure they're snug. You don't want
to have a plate crack because you forgot to check the screws/bolts!
   With your "dirty around the coil" comment, there is also a "chance" that
the block has been treated for loose pins. So evaluate, use your common
sense, explain as clearly as possible the costs and if everything seems
good, go for it.
   I've done some of these monster pitch raises before and sometimes you
get lucky (no problems) and sometimes you don't. But it's good experience
replacing strings (or tying knots) anyway. :-)

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston