wood ply separation

Richard m remoody@iw.net
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:42:52 -0500

If the piano is under warrenty, contact Kimball first.  After the repair
is made, the high gloss finish if it is polyester, , will probably need to
be touched up.  This takes a special kit that Kimball should recomend.
	I assume you don't have deep throat clamps.  The glue (TightBond) has to
be forced in with long thin metal tools.  Hack saw blades with the teeth
ground off work good.  Care must be taken so that crumbs of wood and old
glue do not get pushed farther in. For clamping wo the suitible clamps,
you'll have to be creative.  Sandwich the board being glued between two
pieces of 3/4 inch ply wood,
Stick it underneath one end of a large upright piano.  Put it on your
drive way, drive one wheel of the car on top.  Place it vertically in a
strong doorway, and If your hydraulic jack  will operate on the horizontal
butt it against one jamb and apply pressure.  Use blocks to take up the
space.  Those scissor jacks that come with small cars should work just as
well or even better.
	That is the easy part. Getting the ployester finish back to its high
gloss might take special skills, equipment and materials.

Richard Moody ptt

----------
> From: gaj@popmail3.vnet.net
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: wood ply separation
> Date: Monday, October 21, 1996 8:17 PM
>
> I have a client who has a Kimball grand/high gloss finish whose plys of
wood
> that make up top cover of piano has separated approx. 12 " in each
direction
> from one corner.  (This is the part of the piano that covers music desk,
> tuning pins, etc.)  'Any suggestions as to kind of glue, clamping, etc.
for