Conservative Octaves?

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT dean@reyburn.com
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 21:39:30 -0400

Papa Bear (aka Bob Bussell) writes;
>    Perhaps you were writing about that late night master tuning that you
>and I participated in?  If it was, then I know that I was the bear (Papa or
>Mama Bear?) that preferred a wider stretch.

That's the one!  "The names have been changed to protect the ?..."<g>

>    My motivation is to hear a wider fifth.  I would like squeaky clean
>octaves too, but, I try to balance the octaves with my desire for a near
>squeaky fifth and a reasonable sounding fourth....
> during the Dearborn Master tuning that I participated in, my fifths
>differed from yours only about 2 tenths of a cent, but surprisingly enough,
>those two tenths made a big difference musically to me.

That goes along with my comments that the disagreements on the amount of
stretch among those setting up the master tuning doesn't normally affect
the final outcome of the test.  0.2 cents may  change how the tuning
sounds to well trained ears, but with a two cent window for a target
in the midrange, the exact amount of stretch the examinee uses is the
least
of his worries!  Better to concentrate on the basics of good stable equal
temperament.

>    I have heard of other Examiners preferring and teaching that examinees
>will do well if they keep their 3rds, 10ths, and 17ths about the same.  From
>my observations, this does seem to fit master tunings done at many of the
>last national conventions, but it leaves me feeling a little flat. :>)

That would not be enough stretch for me either, nor would it be for most
good tuners I have recorded.

>P.S. Dean, I am VERY impressed with your Cybertuner.  As an IBM user I have
>never been interested in MAC.  That is, until now! I would like to hear more
>about the advanced customized tuning aspect of your program.

I'll try to do something on that next week.  Right now I'm rushing around
getting ready to leave for North Carolina PTG convention where I will be
teaching and exhibiting.  Hope to see many of you there!

I will try to write something on RCT's "advanced customized tuning aspect"
next week after I get back.

One thing that might be educational is the Chameleon 2 chapter in the RCT
manual. I have an electronic version of the manual with full text and
graphics which is viewable on Windows or Macintosh. I'd be happy to send
it to anyone, just email me.

-Dean

 Dean L. Reyburn, RPT
 Cedar Springs, Michigan, USA             web page:   www.reyburn.com