Temp. muting, was: European tuning pref.

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:43:26 -0400 (EDT)

>In article <1524_OASIS_@husbands.demon.co.uk>, Simon Husbands
><Simon@husbands.demon.co.uk> writes
>Barrie Heaton, wrote
>>We are often reminded that on our course, we have had tuners come from a
>>background of never using anything other than a machine! They come to
learn how
>>to tune 'properly' using just their ears ( and hands ) and are surprised that
>>they leave being better tuners and faster ones too!
>that sometimes is because we use paps wedges instead of a gang mute
>which does speed the job up a lot IMO.

I was always having trouble with "bleed thru" when using a
temperament strip (gang mute).  John McDonald (Boston Chapter)
suggested (as he uses) individual rubber mutes. What a difference !
Just the right amount of pressure can be applied.
Another tip from John: Always depress the damper pedal while inserting
temperament mutes, this will avoid tearing the tips of the trichord felt.
I've been using his suggestion for the last 20 years.
Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass