"My Piano Does not Play in Tune"

Sandra Harper sbach@wave.net
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 00:22:10 -0700

Dear Piano Technicians,
I wish to be better informed concerning the care and expectations of my
instrument.
Here is my problem: I moved from Utah to Oregon on Aug. 3, 1996. I waited
for my piano to settle into the climate here which was similar to Utah. We
had a hot dry summer and now rain (we get about 19" per year). I just had
my piano tuned by a registered technician and I am not satisfied with the
tuning. The bass end is flat and the treble end rings. He also tinkered
with some friction problems which have left a few keys sticking. He tuned
my piano with a tuning fork. I wonder if it is impossible to get as tight
of a tuning job via tuning fork compared to digital tuner?.
How can I specifically describe my tuning tastes? I can tell when a piano
is in tune when I don't perceive a bend in the pitch wave-I hear the sound
go straight to pitch. I told my tuner that I do not like a dark piano.
He told me that my piano was sharp and that it would also need voicing.
It was voiced thoroughly, rebushed, and restrung perfectly by J. Eldridge
Travis of Spanish Fork, Utah, 2 years ago. Do I need to voice the piano
again before it will sound solidly tuned?
I am shocked that my tuning job does not sound tuned.
Any Advice?
Sandra Harper
P.S. Write me back at my email address: sbach@wave.net

Dean Harper