Steinway Player

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 00:01:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Jim.

Steinway probably won't be much help with this one seeing as how the
player mechanism is an Aeolian product. Last year I restored a similar
65/88 note Weber upright and it turned out to be a beauty. The player
mechanism is an early predecessor of the Duo-Art called a themodist,
which provides only a limited amount of control over dynamics. You have
 a basic split stack providing suction to the bass and treble and then
through the use of "Theme" valves, additional suction is addded to
either the bass or treble halves in order to bring the melody into
relief against the accompanument. $2500can to rebuild the player sounds
cheap. This player has a very small bellows system, about the size of that
found in a Gulbransen, yet, comparatively speaking, very high vacuum
demands. Which means that if the system isn't airtight, and that means
COMPLETELY restored including new valves and new pouches, it just won't
work well. There isn't any particular trick to restoring the player except
taking the time to do it right and resisting the temptation to take short
cuts. The dual tracker bar mechanism is beautifully engineered and the
single-eared tracker works just fine. Although 65 hole rolls are difficult
to find, resist the temptation to  transform this into only an 88 note
 player. It's value lies in it's ability to play BOTH typers of rolls.
Because of it's rarity it's difficult to place a value of such an
instrument. On the Weber I did last year I replaced the hammers and
dampers, regulated the action, restored the ivory keyboard, completely
restored the player mechanism, added a complete electrification system
with auto rr and shut off and refinished the case. Including the two
moves I charged the owners 6k for the rebuild and they felt that they
got a bargin in the process. They did. I hope you find some of this
useful.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net