Historical Tuning

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@APS.UoGuelph.CA
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:01:02 -0400 (EDT)

William Bailer wrote:
> Ed Foote wrote:
> > The  increased inharmonicity of our modern pianos should be taken into
> >account when deciding on temperaments.  What was tolerably smooth on a
> >harpsichord is usually harsher on the modern piano.  Thus,  a temperament in
> >favor during a composers day, on the older instrument, becomes a lot more of
> >a harmonic handful when  their music is performed on a modern, high tension
> >scale.

Increased inharmonicity of modern piano over harpsichord is true, but
not true for big early 19th C. pianos. If you do some calculation you
get quite astonishing inharmonicity constants, esp. with the unwound
bass strings (e.g. 1.5mm sold brass). Inharmonicity is also higher on
these pianos primarily due to the short scale (<300 mm), tensions
notwithstanding. Treble inhamonicity is also extremely high.

> ...what is different about modern music
> is often more modern music that is written in key signatures of more
> that three sharps or flats--  THAT may be what is heard as more harsh in
> an historical temperament.  What do you think?

Chopin (e.g.) was particularly fond of many-flat key signatures
which would have been pretty spicy in a non-equal temperament.

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
email: sbirkett@aps.uoguelph.ca