odd partial

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:07:27 -0500

Greetings, Dave,

You ask;

>What would make one string have one flat partial?  More inportantly, what
>is the fix?  I thought about putting on a new string but unless I have
>pretty good evidence that this is the fix, I don't want to thread that
>under the bass strings and fight the tuning of it for a couple of weeks
>and not have it help.

        I bet there is a new string in your future on this one, but before
you do that,  try most of Newton's and Jim's suggestions.   One that I can
add is to take a string hook and lightly kink the back string,( I use a
lateral twisting motion, rather than trying to pull it up or down).  This
often has changed the nature of false beats for me, and may address this
particular problem.
   Good luck!  Would you repin for a new string that low in the scale, on a
piano this new,  or would you wind a new coil and use the same pin?

Regards,
Ed Foote