Sealed pianos

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 09:12:35 -0700 (MST)

Dear Wally:

Yes, there are other pianos which at first may seem difficult to open.
These schemes were developed to discourage vandalism in school situations.
The Walter piano studio version has a similar type system.  You must re-
move 2 phillips screws in the back, then slide the lid back and then off.
The trickiest lid is the older Story & Clark console lid which has 2
hidden screws whose heads hold down the lid by riding in a slot of a
metal plate screwed to the bottom of the lid above the pinblock.  Just
slide the lid back about 3/4 inch, and it comes loose.  Then there was
the Wurlitzer spinet which had rounded sides which could swing outward
after the upper portion of the case was lifted about 1/4 inch.  The clue
to this type is when you notice the back edge of the sides are hinged to
the back assembly.

Jim Coleman, Sr.